Tuesday, July 31, 2007

# 23: Summing it all up

23 hops, skips, and jumps later, here I am with a lot more usernames and passwords (well ok, really just one of the former, but a lot of replicas in any case) and spaces to play (and work) in online.

I have to say, the most memorable 'thing' I learned about had to be RSS feeds. It goes a long way towards solving my tendency to happen across something nifty and frequently updated on the InterWeb, bookmark it with every intention of going back to it later, and promptly forgetting either that I had bookmarked something or where it was exactly in that jumbled pile of miscellaneous saved links. Now there's one spot to go to to look for updates. Ok, two, because I have Google Reader account also. And I still have to remember to log in. But still -- simplification! ::happy dance::

I'm a lot more internet savvy now and have new knowledge on Web 2.0. Really, it was kind of pleasant and instructive to have some structure and deliberateness imposed on my internet addiction. I tried a few things I wouldn't have on my own and found or rediscovered a few useful tools.

I have nefarious podcast plans for the future and Bloglines and its kin will stay with me for a while yet.

One quibble I did have with the 23 Things was that so many of the tutorials were audiovisual based. I do realize that these may have been better for others who prefer that learning style, but I personally find the written word much easier to grok. Also, it would made it more possible to work on 23 Things when in a situation where speakers and/or appropriate software were not readily available. A minor thing really , but I felt it worth mentioning at least.

I would definitely like to participate in another such program in the future though, so clearly it did not bother me too much.

Overall, it was an enjoyable, illuminating, and unexpectedly playful experience and I'm glad I signed up. And hey, new blog space to tinker with.

TTFN!

No comments: