Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Library 2.0

After reading through the Library 2.0 debates on the OCLC website, I'm still processing. However, there are a lot of good points and valid opinions there, many of which I agree with, although not all.

I'm slightly conflicted in how I wish to take a stance on this topic. I very much enjoy and take advantage of the way the Information/Computer Age has revolutionized many lives. Websites, emails, social networking, online games, blogs, and other tools whose names currently escape me are a significant part of my daily existence. I have no objection to these types of things becoming more prominent in libraries.

However, I can also seen the value in maintaining the old tried and true infrastructure as well. As long as it continues to be updated as much as necessary to keep it streamlined and fresh, it would be folly to discard anything to hastily. The library serves many different needs and can certainly adopt new methods without abandoning the old ones. Let's try for a synthesis, shall we?

No comments: